“My business is down. Even after two years of Corona have passed, my business has not picked up. My sales have fallen to barely ten percent. I am using my savings to pay the rent, my employees’ salaries and other expenses. It is a really difficult phase of my life. I do not know how long I will be able to survive.” The bicycle vendor spoke these words with a pain that was difficult to ignore. I had known him not merely as a vendor but as a kind and generous human being. He had a special affection for stray dogs. Every morning and evening, he fed them and, during the harsh winters, even built little shelters for them so they could sleep safely and warmly. Once, I told him about a paralysed female dog living across the road. I used to feed her in the morning, but because of my busy evening routine, I was unable to feed her then. Without hesitation, he said, “You don't worry. I will feed her.” His own business was struggling, yet he never allowed his difficulties to make him indifferent to the suffering of another living being. His kindness reminded me of Mahatma Gandhi's words, “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”
I kept wondering, How could I help him? Since I had no personal need for a bicycle, I decided to buy one from him for the school-going daughters of one of my employees. Some time later, I bought a small children's bicycle with supporting wheels for the kindergarten-going children of another employee. Then, after some more time had passed, I bought bicycles for my maid's daughters. They had been travelling to school by doubling on the same cycle, taking turns to balance themselves and their schoolbags. Now each girl could ride comfortably and safely to school. Every time I bought a bicycle, I felt that perhaps I was doing something small not only for a child's happiness but also for a man whose livelihood depended on those sales. The bicycles brought smiles to children's faces, but I knew that my little efforts could never compensate for the enormous loss he was facing.
Eventually, despite everything, his business had to shut down. The little bicycle shop that had once been a source of his livelihood disappeared, and so did the familiar presence of the man who had cared for so many stray dogs. Whenever I now have to gift someone a bicycle, I instinctively think of him and try calling his number—but his phone is switched off. I don't know where life has taken him or what he is doing today. I can only pray that the goodness he so freely gave to helpless animals has somehow returned to him in another form. Perhaps somewhere, another door opened for him—perhaps he found another business, a better opportunity, and a livelihood with far greater returns. “No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted,” as Aesop is often credited with saying. I hope this is true for him. Wherever he may be, I hope life has finally rewarded the man who, even during his own difficult days, never stopped caring for those who had no voice to ask for help.
Pic : AI Generated

No comments:
Post a Comment