Saturday, July 22, 2017

On my father's death


“Chandrika, forget everything as if nothing has happened.” One of my elderly relative tried to console me when I was crying uncontrollably on my father’s death.

“I can’t forget him.” I replied amidst of my sobs.

“You have spent so much time with him. He taught you so many things. You have lots of sweet memories to remember. But look at me, I have never seen my father.”

I stopped crying and looked at him with a surprise.

He told, “When I was one and a half year old my father died. I couldn’t remember his face.”

“You must be having his photograph or portrait.”

“We were not rich enough to afford them therefore there is a vast blankness for me on remembering him.”
“One person, Mr. ‘X’ was walking bare feet on hot summer. His feet were burning and he was cursing God because God had made him so poor that he couldn’t even afford a pair of shoes for himself. On the way, after sometime he met a person who didn’t have lower limbs and was creeping on the hot road with the help of his hands while his hips were rubbing against hot road with his every move. Mr. ‘X’ thanked God for giving him feet.” I recalled the story and wiped my tears.

1 comment:

  1. I can never understand when people tell you to forget the loved one you have lost. How can one? In my opinion there is no way one can fill the void left by a lost parent. Why shouldn't one grieve and mourn and miss them? Time will help in letting you learn to handle the pain and make your peace with it.
    And as far as people who have lost their parents at an ealy age; my fullest sympathy but each one handles their loss in their own way.

    ReplyDelete