Friday, April 21, 2023

RAK Without Any Expectation of Reward!


Why was he rotating his head like a mad man?

When I looked out of my car window at a red light stop, I found a man standing close by and moving his head in a circular motion. He was wearing a weird cap somewhat like a joker's conical hat but it had a small ball attached to it with a long thread. As he was moving his head, the ball was rotating in a similar fashion above his head. He was also playing a small dholak, a musical instrument. My eyes traveled down towards the ground and I found a small kid of 3-4 years imitating the adult. The young boy as well was rotating his head wearing a similar but a smaller cap on his head. I had never seen such an act of entertainment ever before. Instead of begging, the duo was going near each vehicle and were rotating their heads to get some food or some coins whatever one offered. My heart ached about what acts one has to perform to earn one's bread and how difficult it is to make money. Maya Angelou words echoed in my head, "Try to be a rainbow in someone else's cloud." 

I hurriedly opened my bag and gave some bananas and oranges to them as a token of appreciation of their hard work. The father's eyes crinkled in a show of appreciation, and the child beamed elatedly. 

Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward. - Princess Diana

Pic - Pexels

1 comment:

  1. Jai Sri Hari, this post reminded me of the quote from Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa perfectly encapsulates the idea, "You serve others to please God, but you don't expect anything in return." This selfless attitude can lead to a more fulfilling and meaningful life. Thank you for sharing this insightful post on the value of serving without any expectation of reward.

    ReplyDelete