Sunday, April 9, 2023

Gratitude to the World I Belong!

Without any entry ticket how will I go in and enjoy the fair? I was standing outside the main gate of Pragati Maidan, Delhi to enter the World Book Fair. The ticket can only be purchased through Paytm but I did not use UPI mode of payment. There were no tickets available on cash payment on the main gate but they were available on the gate entry from the metro station. The distance between the two gates by road was a few kilometers. I requested a young girl who was accompanied by her mother to buy tickets for me. She gave the screenshot of tickets to me and I handed over the money to her with thanks. As she had helped me I must help somebody in need, with this promise to myself I entered the book fair.

A saint in an ochre robe was searching the books in a rack of a reputed publisher stall. He picked up a book, shuffled it, took two steps towards the billing counter and then hesitantly came back and put the book back on the shelf. Earlier he made up his mind and then he reluctantly brushed aside the idea. I noticed all this. I went up to him and politely said, "It would be my pleasure to give you a book of your choice." He balked at my suggestion. I requested again, "It will be an honor to give you a gift - a book in this book fair." When I insisted, he accepted my offer. He picked up the same book from the shelf which he had placed there a moment ago. He explained, "This is 'Panchtantra ki kahaniyan' (Stories from Panchtantra) which is too costly and does not fit in my budget but I was yearning for this book for a very long time. I will be pleased if you give me this book."

I smilingly handed over the book to him after completing the purchase. His face lit up. He thanked me numerous times. He invited me to his ashram in Haridwar and shared the address and his contact number with me.

Books make great gifts because they have whole worlds inside of them. And it's much cheaper to buy somebody a book than it is to buy them the whole world!” - Neil Gaiman

It was my way of expressing gratitude to the world for helping me when I was in need.

Pic : Unsplash

1 comment:

  1. Jai Sri Hari, thank you for sharing this heartwarming story of kindness and generosity. As the saying goes, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." May we all strive to spread love and joy, just like our saintly author of this article. :)

    ReplyDelete